401 Yo-Yo Mobile
Woodworking Plans for the Yo-Yo Mobiles 401
- Designed for NEWBORNSand up
- Approximate dimensions: 8" W x 12" H
- Contains full size pattern, instructions & photos for 4 different mobiles: PANDA, BOXER, ORCA WHALE, CLOWN
- Designed for 1/4" to 3/8" furniture grade plywood or tempered "masonite"
- These mobiles are fascinating to watch as they roll up and down - whether you are a young at heart adult or an infant looking up. The work on the same principal as a yo-yo but need to be manually "wound up" and then let go.
- These plans and instructions assume a BASIC Level of Skills in woodworking and related safety requirements when using power tools.
- Woodworking plans are sent by mail via Canada Post. They usually arrive within 7 to 10 days from date of order. Due to postal rate structure, plans sent outside of Canada or the USA cost more to ship.
Working from our Woodworking Plans
If you are a woodworker who has purchased our Plans to build, please follow all safety requirements for the tools you use. The plans and instructions assume a basic level of skills in woodworking and related safety requirements when using power tools. We would like for you to be building wonderful things for years to come ;-)
Please also keep in mind that construction materials and finishes need to take into account the final use of the items built. For the sake of your precious little ones, be sure that the finish on your toys are non-toxic. It's amazing what little kids will chew on when they can get their hands on things!
Although we’ve made some of our mobiles out of fairly rough plywood, we recommend 1/4” to 3/8” thick furniture grade plywood or tempered “masonite”, (hardboard), good on both sides. Found wood, reclaimed wood or scraps are even more fun to create mobiles from than new material purchases.
There are no real safety concerns with mobiles that are properly hung. Tumbling toys are very traditional wooden toys with a long history. Children and adults alike are mesmerized by the tumbling action of this type of toy. Our Yo-Yo Mobiles are so popular with kids that when they have outgrown using the diaper station, they are more than willing to help amuse a younger sib or baby by rolling up the string on the mobile. This involves standing on a stool.
Quality Always: We suggest you use quality, kiln or air dried dried lumber and quality finishes. The final finish consists of several clear coats of hand buffed durable urathane.
These toys have been built for indoor use. The finish is not intended to withstand moisture or rain although it can be wiped down during cleaning. It is made to be durable but may need to be touched up if loved too vigorously for too long. If that happens, just give it a "facelift" by renewing the final finish coat.
Some pictures of projects made from our plans
Here is what one of our satisfied customers had to say:
Our grandson is so mesmerized by the play of colours as the mobile twirls that he happily submits to diaper changes. This means that these mobiles have become a "must" for every diaper station he regularly attends. Ditto for his cribs.